Notice of Election
A Pierre School Board Election will be held on Tuesday, June 6, 2023, in Vote Centers in Hughes County. The Election polls will be open from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm central standard time the day of the election. Registered voters in Hughes County who reside within the Pierre School District can vote at any of the following vote centers for the Pierre School Board Election:
Two Vote-centers will be open for Hughes County voters for the Pierre School Board Election.
1-1 Faith Lutheran Church
1-2 New Life Assembly of God Church
Voters with disabilities may contact the Pierre School District Business Manager at 605-773-7300 for information and special assistance in absentee voting or polling place accessibility.
Pierre School Board Election
Absentee Voting- begins May 22, 2023
Voter Registration Deadline- May 22, 2023
Election Date- June 6, 2023
Register to Vote:
You must be registered to vote 15 days prior to an Election.
An individual must meet the following criteria to register to vote.
- Be a United States citizen
- Be at least 18 years old on or before the next election.
- Not currently serving a sentence for a felony conviction which included imprisonment, served or suspended, in an adult penitentiary system.
- Not be judged mentally incompetent by a court of law
complete this form.
Mail to: Hughes County Finance Office
104 E Capitol Ave
Pierre, SD 57501
Voter Cancelation: If you need to cancel your voter registration due to relocation to another state or a death. Please complete this form.
Any registered voter may vote by absentee ballot until 5:00 pm on the day prior to the election.
Voters do not need to provide a reason in order to absentee vote. All voters will be required to show identification or complete a Personal Identification Affidavit
- In Person
- By Mail
- By Messenger
Location: Pierre School District, 211 South Poplar Ave., Pierre, SD 57501
To cast an Absentee Ballot in person, a voter must:
- Complete the combined Absentee Ballot Application/Return Envelope
- Present valid identification
- A South Dakota driver's license or non-driver identification card; or a passport or an identification card, including a picture issued by an agency of the United States government; or
- A tribal identification card, including a picture; or
- A current student identification card, including a picture issued by a high school or accredited institution of higher education, including a university, college, or technical school located within the State of South Dakota.
If a voter is not able to present a form of personal identification as required by SDCL 12-18-6.1, the voter may complete a Personal ID Affidavit.
To receive an absentee ballot by mail, a voter must file an Absentee Ballot Application for an early/absentee ballot with the Pierre School District Business Manager at least 15 days prior to the election. The application cannot be submitted by fax or email. The application must include a copy of the voters personal identification (Driver's License), the voter may send a photo of their ID by emailing it to: email@example.com or the voter's signature can be notarized or witnessed by an official who can administer an oath.
The completed ballot can be returned or mailed to the Pierre School District:
Pierre School District
211 South Poplar Ave.
Pierre, SD 57501
For additional information , go to www.sdsos.gov
A voter who is confined because of sickness or disability may request an absentee ballot in writing by completing the Absentee Ballot Application and naming an authorized messenger who will deliver the ballot to the voter.
The voter must sign a statement on the back of the Absentee Ballot Envelope prior to returning the ballot.
Any Absentee Messenger voted ballot must be returned to the Pierre School District by 3:00 pm on Election Day.
View your Sample Ballot.
Questions for Hughes County (605) 773-7451 or email:
More information about Elections can be found on the South Dakota Secretary of State website www.sdsos.gov